👄😷Can Dry Mouth Cause Bad Breath?👄😷
In today's episode, I’m going over.....
The question “Can Dry Mouth Cause Bad Breath”
I'm Dr. Anna
and In the next few minutes you are going to learn…
About how Dry Mouth causes Bad Breath and what can be done to help.
For information about Dry mouth head over to www.mysmilegenius.com to get the Free Dry Mouth eBook and BONUS Materials
With that being said
👉👉 Do you have Dry Mouth and Bad Breath? Let me know in the comments, and what have you tried to make your bad breath better.
I will start by discussing
What is bad breath?
Bad breath is also known as halitosis. It refers to the condition when someone experiences a noticeable unpleasant breath odor. It is often something patients discover themselves, or they have other people tell them about it. There are also tests one could take to get an official diagnosis of halitosis such as halimeter, gas chromatography and others.
There are various origins of bad breath
- 1) There can be bad breath originating from the mouth (oral halitosis) – and it is most common :
- It is due to the presence of bacteria (biofilm) and food on the tongue, around the gums, between teeth, etc. Bacteria eats the food and produces gases which have an unpleasant smell.
- When food in our mouth sticks around for too long it is broken down by our enzymes and what is left over can also cause bad breath.
- There are foods such as garlic, onions, meat, fish, cheese which in themselves have unpleasant to many odor.
- Let's not forget smoking and alcohol as a possible reason as well.
- Dental conditions such as of cavities, dental infections, ulcers as well as dentures,.
- In the morning “called morning breath”. At night our mouth does not get as much oxygen as during the day and our saliva flow is much slower so there is more opportunity for things to stagnate and for bacteria to be active
- 2)Another origin is bad breath NOT originating from the mouth but from stomach, esophagus, nose, sinuses, throat etc.
- 3)Fasting, stress, anxiety
- 4)Underlying medical condition liver failure, ketoacodisis, diabetes, respiratory tract infections, gastric reflux, certain types of diet (paleo diet for example where we consume a lot of protein which when broken down can have an unpleasant smell).
How does Dry Mouth cause bad breath?
Saliva is important in washing away food, plaque, calculus, dead cells from the teeth, tongue, cheek, gums etc. It also moisturizes oral tissues and naturalizes acids. If we lack saliva to cleanse the mouth we experience not only dry mouth but also other dental problems such as cavities and gum disease.
What are the ways of treating Bad breath?
- First see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment of possible underlying medical conditions which may be causing bad breath.
- See your dentist to make sure there is no dental disease such as cavities, infections, ulcers etc. All the things that can cause bed breath. And of course, you want to have these things taken care of anyway, not just for improving bad breath.
- Mechanical measures which include, brushing (including the tongue), flossing,
- There are many mouthwashes which are designed for bad breath.
- If you have dry mouth make sure you pick alcohol-free mouthwash as alcohol has drying effects on the oral cavity.
- Avoid bad-breath causing foods like onions, garlic etc. Substitute with basic foods such as many fruits such as apples, vegetables, (non-salted) nuts etc.
- Stay hydrated. Sip on water often as it will help wash out your mouth but also hydrate your body which is important for saliva production.
- If you have dry mouth go to www.mysmilegenius.com to get more information on actions you can take.
Again, this is Dr. Anna with the Dry Mouth Show
👉👉 Do you have Dry Mouth and Bad Breath? Let me know in the comments, and what have you tried to make your dry mouth caused by Diabetes better.
For more information on Dry Mouth and its management follow the links below:
Start with the Free Dry Mouth eBook and Dry Mouth Worksheets: 👉👉👉https://aniaglin.clickfunnels.com/lead-magnet4e6r82bjl4d3bmbklwgdltjqymqusdfs
Join the Dry Mouth Community on Facebook: 👉👉👉https://www.facebook.com/groups/1096621073841219/
Video on the “7 Best Dry Mouth Remedies”👉👉👉: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=F3zxlnzrKIM&t=109s
Dr. Anna Glinianska
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.